Deep web and Dark Web are not something unknown these days. Whether known in any possible ways including the conventional method, Deep web or Dark web is widely used across ages but are rarely talked about. Providing the glimpse of what deep web is, it can be stated as a web underneath the web that is filled with petabytes of data and information that is out of the reach of the standard search engines such as Google, Bing or Yahoo. To know what Deep web is in details and what purposes does it serve, you have to read on till the end.
Deep web, which is often confused with the “Dark Web”, is a part of the submerged web while the other part of the submerged web is known as the Dark Web. Deep web is most often associated with the privacy protection connection services such as TOR and online marketplaces that deal with drugs, ammunition, and various other services. Besides these, the deep web contains a constantly updated torrent of raw, unchecked and un-indexed information surging with complex technical terms. These documents keep records like census data, NASA mission data, patents, and academic paper databases.
Image Source: https://medium.com
While on the contrary, the surface web takes the help of Google search engine utilizing the spider-based crawler to crawl and index the surface web for static webpage results and then return them to the users when they punch the right terms into the search bar. To everyone’s surprise, this only covers a very small portion of the actual information that is available on the web. The Surface Web covers the basics such as news sites, social media, shopping, blogs, etc.
The estimation states that the whole of the entire surface web only accounts to about 20 terabytes (TB) of the information or just 5 percent of the information that is made available for the open search. Conversely, the deep web occupies about 7.5 petabytes of the information or just nearly 95% of the total.
Since the information available in the Deep web is not indexed and is a part of the submerged web, hence, usual search engines like Google, Bing or Yahoo would not do much justice to your research. You have to take the help of a specialized browser and search engine in order to accumulate the huge amount of information from the academic papers and research papers that remains floating on the deep web. The most widely used web browser for this is TOR that bears DuckDuckGo search engine.
One of the most encountered issues with accessing academic papers is Paywall. What paywall does is, it blocks the content from being accessed and one can only access the content behind the paywall by paying for a subscription which often is mentioned against just one article or research paper making it difficult for the users to access otherwise. Most prominently, some of the websites even have a flat fee wherein the users can access all the content of the website against a flat fee. In case you need to break the paywall to get access, you can try out the Google Chrome browser extension Unpaywall. This extension automatically scours the web for a free version of any content you might want to access.
Below mentioned are some of the services that would aid you in the best way to catalog all the information that one might need during the next research project.
- Archive.org – It is known to be the gigantic database of the media that has been entered into the public domain containing sound recordings, old videos, rare books that might just be beneficial for the work of the school and well as job. Having partnered with the Wayback Machine and has over 280 billion web pages, and is indexed.
- JSTOR – This is one of the most obvious databases to surf for if you really need some important academic documents. Having been established in the year 1995, it offers full-text searches for over 2000 individual journals and 15,000+ eBooks bearing a one-stop approach. The database also allows one to access up to three books for free while a subscription, also known as the JPASS service of $19.50 per month or $199 per year will offer you unlimited reading and 10 PDF downloads every 30 days up to 120 days per year.
- Library of Congress – Library of Congress offers digitized archives of over 200 years of historical information along with the updated volumes.
- Osti.gov – This website is the government research archives. They are cent percent searchable and capable of returning the results from within any document that one is trying to search for.
Image Source: https://www.comparitech.com
Next, are some of the other general websites that will come handy if you are aiming for the best research on the deep web:
- General – GPO’s Catalog of US Government Publications, The National Archives, HighWire Press, Encyclopedia Britannica, FRED.
- Books – Google Books, Scribd, Project Gutenberg, The Online Books Page, Getty Research Institute.
- Law & Politics – Law Library of Congress, THOMAS (Library of Congress), LexisNexis.
- Medical & Health – Science.gov, PubMed, Globalhealthfacts.org, New England Journal of Medicine.
- Science & Academic – US Geologic Survey, US National Map by USGS, USGS Real-Time Water Data, USGS Earthquake Hazards Program, The SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System, Academic Index, IEEE Xplore Digital Library, TechXtra.
- Miscellaneous – ScienceResearch.com, Arxiv, DeepDyve.
- Video Resources – VideoLectures.net.
The web is a gigantic and wonderful place if utilized properly that is filled with just all kinds of information. By utilizing these sites and search engines to trawl the deep web, you can be sure that your next academic paper, Ph.D. thesis, or your college entry essay will be packed with the richest sources possible.
Disclaimer: Darkweblink.com does not promote or endorse claims that have been made by any parties in this article. The information provided here is for the general purpose only and unintended to promote or support purchasing and/or selling of any products and services or serve as a recommendation in the involvement of doing so. Neither Darkweblink.com nor any member is responsible directly or indirectly for any loss or damage caused or alleged to be caused by or in relation with the reliance on or usage of any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
Tags: #.onion_Links #Dark_net_Links # Dark_net_Sites_Links #.onion_Hidden_Links #Hidden_Wiki